- Requesting the portal Experience application from ServiceNow Store
- Installing the application to ServiceNow instance
- Applying a minor update to the application
- Configuring the application
- Adding the measurement widget to desired portal pages
- Testing the survey
- All done!
Before you start
There are a couple of things to note before starting the installation process.
- make sure you have administrator access to the ServiceNow instance where you are installing the application
- make sure you have access to the HappySignals cloud service
- make sure you have received the following information from HappySignals:
- End-point URLs to your HappySignals cloud services.
Generally, the end-point URL looks something like: https://[your company name].happysignals.com
- A shared secret, which is used to make sure generated feedbacks come from your environment
- End-point URLs to your HappySignals cloud services.
- make sure you have requested the Portal Experience application from the ServiceNow store. For details on how to do this, see our article on "How to proceed when you want to download our Application from ServiceNow Store?"
Installing the application
Installation of the application is very straightforward and requires only a few steps to be complete:
- In the ServiceNow application navigator, find the "System Applications" module. In the "System Applications" module expand the "All Available Applications" section and click on the "All" menu item.
- In the "All applications" page, type "HappySignals" to the search bar. In the application list below find the Portal Experience application and click the "Install"-button. Confirm the installation in the modal that pops up.
- Wait for the install to complete and you have successfully installed the HappySignals Portal Experience to your ServiceNow instance.
Once the installation is complete reload the page and search "Portal Experience" in the application navigator and confirm the application menu is there.
Applying a minor update to the application (applies to version 1.0.1 and lower)
Before you continue on to any configurations and you should apply a minor update to the application. The update is required to improve the feedback experience in ServiceNow for mobile users.
To apply the update, first, download the update set (XML file) containing the required changes with the following link:
Then load the update set to your ServiceNow instance with the following steps:
- Navigate to System Update Sets > Retrieved Update Sets.
- Click the link Import Update Set from XML.
- Click Choose File and select the XML file.
- Click Upload.
The application update is now available as a retrieved update set with state Loaded. You can then proceed to preview and commit the update set and after the commit is ready you can move on to the configurations.
Configuring the application
After the application is installed and updated you can proceed to the configurations. First, switch your application scope to the "HappySignals Portal Experience".
Open the "General Properties" module under the HappySignals Portal Experience application.
In the general properties, configure the "Happy Cloud Service endpoint" with the end-point URL that HappySignals has provided for you.
Then configure "The word for proof of origin." with the shared secret that HappySignals has provided for you. This is used to make sure that the feedbacks come from your ServiceNow environment.
Note that both the endpoint and shared secret are environment-specific, so make sure to update them when installing the application to a new ServiceNow environment. You should also make sure that you don't overwrite them when cloning data between environments.
Next, you are ready to continue with the data configuration in the "User Data Configuration" section of the "General Properties".
Configurations in this section define what information about the person who provides the feedback is passed on to HappySignals.
You can use field names from the "Users" table in the configurations to map data dynamically. Or you can use static values that will be the same for all feedbacks by wrapping a configuration value with quotation marks (").
|Name||Description||Default value||Used in the benchmark?|
A field for the user's company.
|Information about the user's company.||company||No|
A field for the user's country.
|Information about the users country. The country information should be the full country name in English.||location.country||Yes|
|Information about the user's town, city, office building or similar.||location||No|
|Regional information.||Information about the user's department or similar.||department||No|
User's language code.
|A field containing information about the user's language. This determines the language of the HappySignals survey form for the user.||preferred_language||No|
Adding the HappySignals Portal Experience widget to portal pages
Open your Service Portal and navigate to the page where you want to add the widget.
Move your cursor over a piece of content within the page and press CONTROL + RIGHT MOUSE CLICK to bring up the Service Portal context menu.
In the context menu select the "Page in Designer" to open up the Service Portal page designer.
With the page designer, drag a new "Container" to the page content.
Then select the container in the page content and edit its settings by clicking the small pen icon in the top-right corner of the page.
In the container settings change the width to "Fluid" and click "Save".
Drag a 12 column layout to the newly added container.
Search the "HappySignals Portal Experience" widget and drag it to the newly added 12 column layout. A pink placeholder image should show up in the page content.
Select the newly added widget and click on the small pen icon to edit the widget instance options.
|Option name||Description||Default value|
|Position of the question||Defines where the feedback rating shows up on the portal page.||-- None --|
|Feedback Prompt Text||Defines the text for the call-to-action prompt that appears on the left side of the page.||Feedback|
|Feedback Prompt Colour||Defines the background colour for the call-to-action prompt.||ffd8e4|
|Feedback Prompt Text Colour||Defines the text colour for the call-to-action prompt.||#ffffff|
|Feedback Button Colour||Defines the colour of the feedback buttons on the feedback rating that shows up on the portal page.||#ffecf1|
|Probability to show the questionnaire||Defines the likelihood of the feedback rating showing up on its own in any given page load. 0 = never and 100 = always.||50|
|Show Prompt Box||Defines if the call-to-action prompt is shown in the portal.||unchecked|
|Polling interval (days)||Defines how many days must be passed before the feedback rating can show up on its own after a user has provided feedback.||30|
Testing the survey
With the configurations done, you are ready to test the survey.
Open the page in Service Portal. Depending on your configurations you can either use the call-to-action to bring up the feedback survey or reload the page until the survey comes up on its own.
With the feedback survey visible, click on one of the rating buttons which opens the HappySignals survey form on a new tab.
If no errors appear and you are able to submit feedback, then everything is working as should be!
Remember, if you encounter any issues with the Portal Experience product during or after installation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
That's it, you have now installed and configured HappySignals Portal Experience to your ServiceNow.